why women leave the pipeline

ktlee+ at pitt.edu ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jan 7 09:41:48 EST 1997

Beth Shuster wrote:

>   Susan is also correct that those of us who leak reduce the numbers of
> women available to move up through the ranks.  One (of many) of my concerns
> when making my decision was the ripple effect it would have on students who
> considered me a role model.  Although I eventually decided that that
> concern was not a sufficient justification for remaining in a situation I
> was desperately unhappy with, I still regret the fact that at least one
> woman (not from my lab) left grad school with an MS degree, citing my
> situation as one of the reasons (the final straw) she chose not to complete
> the PhD.  I am sure that there were other ripples of which I am unaware..

Beth,

I think you are probably right that your leaving impacts other people.
(And also right that that is no reason for you to change your
decision.)  I was talking to a colleague recently and he told me of a
study he read or heard about.  (I don't know where and don't have a
reference or any details. sorry.)  This study apparently tracked
people in high profile postdocs to see where they ended up.  Even at
that level, women left the pipeline more often than men.
Interestingly it was women with female mentors that left more often.
Why?  According to my colleague the reason stated was that the women
saw what their mentors had given up and didn't want to go there.
Interesting...

Has anybody else seen or heard this?  Do you know where I can get a
copy of the paper?

Karen
(ktlee+ at pitt.edu)