Research ethics survey

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Fri Feb 28 17:43:02 EST 1997

S L Forsburg wrote:

> -- susan, who used to be one of "us" but now is one of "them".

As another "them" who used to be an "us" --

What I am not seeing in this "how many hours to work discussion" is
the feeling I had in graduate school -- I worked 60, 70, 80 hour weeks
I worked for four or five months at a time without a day off. And
sometimes it wasn't enough because I *wanted* to be there. It was hard
for me to believe that someone was giving me the opportunity to play
at science - it was *play*; it was never really *work*. How could one
ask for a better life? It had nothing to do with productivity. It had
nothing to do with the way other people worked. It had nothing to do
with my PhD advisor (who admittedly wasn't one of the nasties that
some folks have written about). It was fun! I probably could have got
my PhD done with 40 hour weeks. But with an opportunity to play in the
lab, how could I not take advantage?

Looking at it now -- I still work the same hours but very little of it
is in the lab doing the science. Much of it is grant-writing, lecture
preparing, committee work -- some of which is enjoyable. But it is not
as fun as doing bench work.

So I guess sometimes the "them's" envy the "us's"....

My 2 electrons,
Brian