Triage at the student stage

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Aug 19 14:21:10 EST 1997

In article <1997Aug18.134321 at opal.tufts.edu> matkisso at opal.tufts.edu writes:

 >Most universities have some sort of candidacy exam (prelim, etc.) which
 must be
 >passed.  Isn't this supposed to be the 'triage' point?  But how many
 people
 >have you seen fail?  My (mis)perception of the "good old days" was that
 they
 >were much less fussy about who they let in, but quite demanding about
 who they
 >passed to Ph. D. candidacy.
 >
 >Going back to something like this could save a lot of people a lot of
 time,
 >ensure that the best move on, and still give universities a pool of
 teaching
 >assistants.  People who fail candidacy could still get a Masters, and
 then
 >could get on with their lives sooner than Ph. D. + Post-doc I + Post-doc
 II.

 >Seriously, what percentage of people at your institution fail the
 qualifier?

In my department, there are not that many incoming students (4 to 6 per
year) but usually at least one every year will fail the qualifying exam.
The college does not have a masters program as such. they do have a
"consolation prize" masters degree - but one must pass the qualifier and
do a significant amount of work in the lab to get it. People who get a
Masters usually have had bad luck with their thesis project.

Annette