Money?

aloisia schmid a-schmi at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 12 20:58:20 EST 1997

In article <9708122127.AA08005 at taisun1.tamuk.edu>, kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
(Galloway Cynthia M) wrote:

> > The figure of 45,000 given in one post for starting academics is very
> > much out of line at smaller colleges and Universities.  My students are
> > of the opinion that the faculty start at over $50,000nand are shocked at
> > what we make.  I know that there is a great difference between
> > disciplines and I'm glad I'm not teaching History or English necause many
> > in these areas don't break $20,000 a year.
> >
> > California has the fairest system that I know of but few other states
> > have their system of determining salaries.  When I interviewed for a job
> > in the Cal State System I offered to come for less money and they said
> > they couldn't deviate from the formula.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Cyndy
> >

> Dear Cyndy,

     Any comments?

     Yes.

     While I think it is great that you have a job, two things struck me
about your posting.

     First of all, that undergrads have no clue as to an academic's
salary.  I know this is true---I still remmeber the shock at finding this
out myself. College professors have always been underpaid, though, and it
has been this way because people always said it was a life-style choice.
That you chose academics because it meant you got to chase butterflies in
fields as your way to earn a living.  Or read excellent and fascinating
things in your musty old office in the ivory tower.  I don't know if
academics was ever really like that (to some extent, I think it WAS!) but
it sure isn't like that now.  There is no great lifestyle in academics as
far as I can tell.  So the low salaries are no longer justified.  And I
think sometimes that people continue to stick with academics because they
have no experience with anything else, and so the myth of freedom in
lifestyle continues on, primarily because it just isn't getting tested
adequately.  Academicians don't hear back enough from people who cross
over into other areas--industry, government, etc., and when they DO hear
back, it is in a context so new and foreign that it becomes very difficult
to do good comparisons.  I have friends in industry who always say, "it's
really hard to describe..." what the differences are.

     The other thing though that struck me is that you said you offered to
take LESS when you interviewed in California.  WHY?

                           alice