postdocs

APALLAS apallas at ARSERRC.GOV
Wed Aug 13 16:02:30 EST 1997

Julia wrote:

>OK, I'll bite.  What kind of job would you be applying for in which all
>the other 2-300 applicants DIDN'T have at least 4 years of postdoctoral
>experience?

>It  wouldn't be large scale academia, or small scale (perhaps community
>college?  but then we're talking less than $30,000 for your "dream'
>job).  And it certainly wouldn't be industry-you are expected to have
>done a lengthy postdoc for most industry positions too.  Just what kind
>of job would have postdoc-less appliers?

O.K., I shouldn't have said "postdocless" appliers - everyone does them nowadays.  But, my reasoning still stands (postdoc = resume builder first, and not exactly additional training, as some have put it).

How GOOD a postdoc is that you have on your resume determines whether you get the job you apply for after it.

And, as someone once told me, they are a great way to network, whereas if you go right into a job, or don't "have at least 4 years of postdoctoral experience," the only real contacts you have to fall back on are your professors from the school in which you received your Ph.D., or the one postdoc you did that only lasted a year or two.

Anything else?

apallas at ARSERRC.Gov