Funding for PBS

Cindy Hale chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU
Thu Apr 10 12:00:56 EST 1997

This is for anyone who thinks NPR/PBS is a worthwhile expenditure of
$1.12/year of his/her taxes, a petition follows.  If you sign, please
forward
on to others (not back to me). If not, please don't kill it -- send it
to the
email address listed here:  wein2688 at blue.univnorthco.edu

 PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major
cutbacks in
funding.  In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce spending
costs
and streamline their services, some government officials believe that
the
funding currently going to these programs is too large a portion of
funding
for something which is seen as "unworthwhile".  Currently, taxes from
the
general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person per year, and the National
Endowment for the Arts equals $.64 a year in total.

 A January 1995 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of
Americans
wish to keep funding for PBS, third only to national defense and law
enforcement as the most valuable programs for federal  funding.  Each
year,
the Senate and House Appropriations committees each have 13
subcommittees
with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies.  Each subcommittee
passes
its own appropriation bill.   The goal each year is to have each bill
signed
by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October 1.

 The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of
support
for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our voices
heard.
 Please add your name to this list and forward it to friends if you
believe
in what we stand for.  This list will be forwarded to the President of
the
United  States, the Vice President of the United States, and
Representative
Newt Gingrich, who is the instigator of the action to cut funding to
these
worthwhile programs.
 If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th etc. signer of this
petition,
please forward a copy to wein2688 at blue.univnorthco.edu.  If that address
is
inoperative, please send it to kubi7975 at blue.univnorthco.edu. This way
we can
keep track of the lists and organize them.  Forward this to everyone you
know, and  help us to keep these programs alive.  Thank you.

  251)  Nina Bernstein, New York City
  252)  Tamsen Schultz, Boston, MA
  253)  Robert A. Schultz,  Santa Rosa, CA
  254)  Nancy Thomas, Santa Cruz, CA
  255)  Lisa Ahrens, Soquel, CA
  256)  Karen Alfke, Los Altos Hills, CA (akabini at aol.com)
  257)  Philip Handley, Santa Barbara, CA (phil at esm.ucsb.edu)
  258)  Carol Wyatt-Evens, Santa Barbara, CA (wyatt at lifesci.ucsb.edu)
  259)  Sandra Roll, Santa Barbara, CA (roll at lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu)
  260)  Don Janes, niversity of California, Riverside, CA
  261)  Julia Soto, Los Angeles, California, CA
  262)  Gail Lefkowitz, Pittsburgh, PA (galst5+ at pitt.edu) (1/29/97)
  263)  Andrea Dubnick, Chicago, IL  (Sonyapraya at aol.com)
  264)  Patricia Bereck Weikersheimer, Downers Grove, IL
  265)  Romayne C. Rubinas, Bloomington, IN
  266)  Damon Dorsey, Bloomington, IN
  267)  Karen Ruedi Crowell, Galesburg, IL
  268)  John Crowell, Chicago, IL
  269)  Carol Flamm, New York, NY
  270)  Bertram Stiller, Washington, D.C.
  271)  John Kay, Chevy Chase, Md.
  272)  Isabelle Kay, La Jolla, CA
  273)  Megan McArthur, San Diego, CA
  274)  Steve Loh, Los Angeles, CA
  275)  Sandra Williams, Los Angeles, CA
  276)  S. Leo Chiang, Los Angeles, CA
  277) Joseph Hoffman, San Francisco, CA
  278) Jeffrey Friedman, San Francisco, CA
  279) Joseph E. Mattes, New York, NY
  280) Mark Schoofs, New York, NY
  281) Michael Goldberg, Brooklyn, NY
  282) Pamela Knight, Chicago, IL