PhD Position for Woman?

Megan megan at ucla.edu
Mon Sep 23 12:16:15 EST 1996

Alexei,
It is never IMPOSSIBLE to get a job in science, it just depends on what she
is interested in doing.  She can probably explain to interested parties that
she had a disagreement or problem interacting with her previous boss, and
that should explain the letter. Lots of people have problems getting along
with their boss, so it is not unheard of for people to get unimpressive
letters.  she should explain this to prospective employers before they read
the letter though.

Your friend is a MD,PhD, i think it unlikely that she would find it too
terribly difficult to get a job here in the US...  she may not be able to
find a faculty position right off, but she could do a post doc type position
for a few years, and then with the aid of that person she could likely get a
nice faculty position.  she has papers, and several  of them.  she could get
more in a postdoc and that would help too.

Also, i noticed that in her CV she writes that she is married and has a
child.  This is not necessary information and may in some cases be
detrimental.  It is not the business of a prospective employer (at least in
the United States) whether or not you are married or have children, or
whther you plan to.  In fact, it is against the law for a prospective
employer to ask these questions.  She is free to volunteer this info, but it
is illegal for them to ask.  (that doesnt mean that the questions are not
asked, it just means it is not legal for them to do so.)