Need Recommendations for Evol. Bio. Programs

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 10 20:08:12 EST 1996

Hi--

Probably the best thing to do is to write or call departments and request
that they send you their list of faculty members and descriptions of
their projects, in the EEB department.

You can probably go to someone in the bio department at Cornell for a
good list of schools to contact (Monica Geber is a good bet), but here
are some suggestions:

Indiana University, Bloomington
Cornell University
University of Arizona, Tucson
University of Utah
Washington University (St. Louis)
University of Washington (Seattle)
University of California, Davis (or Berkeley, or several others)
University of Maryland
Michigan State University
Duke University
... just to name a very few

These schools all have several terrific Evol./Ecol. faculty, but they
vary in their focus on field biology vs. molecular work vs. math
modelling, plants, animals, etc... you will get a better idea for the
programs if you read their literature.  I would suggest looking for
schools that have at least two people you could imagine yourself working
with, then read some of their papers adn contact them by mail to let them
know you exist.  This may help when it comes time for them to go through
the stack of applications.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions-- I remember searching
for evolution grad schools all too well!  It can be pretty painful, but
it is much more bearable if you put some work into deciding which schools
are the best candidates before you apply.

--Dana Dudle
Graduate student
Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior
Indiana University