Graduation rates

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Sep 6 10:05:58 EST 1996

Hi everyone!

My roommate from grad school and I were talking last night and she
mentioned that the completion rate for PhD students in my former
department is less than 50% (this from a professor within that department
who is on the graduate education committee).

Is this unusual?

Also is it unusual for a department to pass people on comprehensives and
then later decide that their  progress toward their degree is
insufficient and drop them? I was the first casualty in such a purge a
few years ago and I am just curious.

Thanks,
Linnea