Babies of graduate students in biology

Phoebe Rice phoebe at VGER.NIDDK.NIH.GOV
Tue Oct 15 13:59:43 EST 1996

>From: jfabian at cmp.hmc.psu.edu (J. Fabian, Ph.D.)
>Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 19:26:13 GMT
>
>It might be better to wait to have kids until you are finished with
>your post-doctoral studies (if this is possible). I say this because
>If you wanted to take off time to raise your children, there is
>money available from NIH in the form of reentry supplements. You
>must have taken off at least two years and not have worked more
>than 10 hours per week in the interim...but if you find a lab to
>sponsor you in the reentry process, the supplement covers your
>salary and requires that you are given a faculty position (you don't
>need to repeat your post-doc).
>
>Jack

	Sounds very nice, but how exactly do you find a faculty position after
spending at least two years doing what will be considered "nothing"???
	I don't see any really good time to have kids, except maybe after
you've become established and received tenure ... and probably gone
through menopause as well.  As someone used to say (sorry I don't
remember who), somewhere out there, driving down the road, is a big
truck with your name on it.  You never know when it's going to hit.  So
if there's something really important to you in life, just go ahead and
do it now.  "Later" may turn out to be alot different from what you were
counting on.
					Phoebe
	Phoebe Rice
	(301) 402 4497 (phone) / (301) 496 0201 (fax)
	Phoebe at vger.niddk.nih.gov
	http://www-mslmb.niddk.nih.gov/phoebe_rice.html