Babies of graduate students in biology

J. Fabian, Ph.D. jfabian at cmp.hmc.psu.edu
Tue Oct 15 16:44:41 EST 1996

In Article <3263DF19.41C6 at vger.niddk.nih.gov>, phoebe at VGER.NIDDK.NIH.GOV
(Phoebe Rice) wrote:

>        Sounds very nice, but how exactly do you find a faculty position after
>spending at least two years doing what will be considered "nothing"???
>        I don't see any really good time to have kids, except maybe after
>you've become established and received tenure ... and probably gone
>through menopause as well.

Age is definately a consideration.  But for anybody who is interested in the
NIH reentry supplement program a web site with info is:
http://infoserv.rttonet.psu.edu/~spin/programs/064/06490.htm

And a description follows:
SYNOPSIS:

The sponsor provides a limited number of supplements to NIH research
grants to encourage fully trained individuals to reenter an active research
career after taking time off to attend to family responsibilities. Awards may
be made for up to three years and may not exceed $50,000 in direct costs
peryear.

OBJECTIVES:

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) supports a limited number of
supplements to research grants to encourage fully trained women and men
to reenter an active research career after taking time off to care for
children or parents or to attend to other family responsibilities. The goal of
this program is to assist fully trained individuals who have not reentered
the research arena. The proposed research must be directly related to the
approved ongoing research of the parent grant or cooperative agreement.

J.Fabian, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Cell and Molecular Physiology
Penn State College of Medicine