Motivating girls to do science...

Irene Chen ichen at HUSC.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Mar 29 17:34:26 EST 1996

On 29 Mar 1996, Coscolluela Eileene wrote:

> 	My best friend's parents
> 	were very traditional Chinese and their attitude towards her
> 	(a very bright engineering student).  They refused to allow her
> 	to go to a school where she got accepted and gave her full tuition
> 	because she's "a female" and they expected her to "go to a state
> 	school only" because they were saving their money up for her
> 	younger brother who isn't as intelligent or have the same potential as
> 	she has.  That almost devastated her career in the sciences...

In the interest of presenting a balanced view of Asian parents, I just
want to add that both of my parents are native Taiwanese, but they've
encouraged me in every possible way to pursue my educational interests.
Their emphasis is on education, something which seems characteristic of
Asian parents in general, and I think that this "tradition" outweighs
gender stereotypes to most Asian parents (considering the definite
presence of Asian females in my classes, at least).

Irene Chen