Women, Men, Science, and Communication

Marian mgc at usa.pipeline.com
Wed Mar 27 18:25:44 EST 1996

On Mar 27, 1996 12:18:56 in article <Women, Men, Science, and
Communication>, 'Eric Fairfield <fairfiel at trail.com>' wrote:

>My daughter, seventh grade and 11 years old, is very good at science.
Like a
>number of talented
>kids, she is actually very good at many things.
>
>When I try to teach her about science, I have to ask whether there are
>differences between men
>and women in their approach to science.  I know that there have been
different
>socializations;
>but if I undo the socialization what differences are left.
>
>I have tried to analyze the many men and women that I have had as mentors,

>colleagues, and
>workers.  I find, to my surprise, that while there are some differences
between
>men and women the
>majority of the variation seems to be between individuals (different
people are
>interested in
>different things) and in the mentors that these individuals have had.
>
>I used to assume that men and women were very different but my experience
says
>that the
>differences between sexes are smaller than I expected while the
differences
>between individuals
>are larger than I expected.

To a certain extent I do agree with this statement.  But in my field of
anthropology, I remeber being at a faculty meeting and having all the males
in the room dominate the conversation and all the females remain timid and
quite.

I would think anthropologists would be more aware than just the run of the
mill individual.  Certain behaviors are just never shrugged off.