Motivating girls to do science

Denise Lepley dmlepley at netserv.unmc.edu
Sun Mar 24 16:29:59 EST 1996

I agree with all the replies to this post thus far in that teachers and
mentors play a large part in motivating girls and young women to choose
science as their career.  However, the question, in my opinion, is should
we be encouraging anybody male or female to enter the sciences now since
there are far too many PhDs and other technical support (M.S., techs) for
the number of available positions(in academia and industry)?  Of course I
do love sharing my enthusiasm for science with children and young adults,
but I would never encourage anyone to enter a field that was flooded
unless they 1.) absolutely loved science, for example, with a passion,
and 2.) knew exactly their chances for *advancement* in their career.

Good luck, Angela, with the paper.

Denise