Ms.

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Mar 8 14:30:21 EST 1996

In article <MAILQUEUE-101.960229113513.288 at bmg.bhs.uab.edu> ,
KSROSTAND at bmg.bhs.uab.edu writes:
>Just as men are addressed as Mr. without reference to their marital
>status, Ms. should be used to address women without reference to their
>marital status. I think it was probably originally proposed by Gloria
>Steinem et al - remember Ms. Magazine?

Yes, this is correct as I remember it.  Steinem et al. didn't think it
was necessary that women be defined on the basis of their marital status.
 Especially since it was often used as a basis for job discrimination on
application forms.  We already discussed how some scientific recruiters
still require marital status on their appplication forms.

By the way, Ms. magazine is alive and well.  It stopped for awhile
because Steinem felt that she was forced to choose between continuing to
publish and accepting ads that denigrated women.  Now they are
advertisement free, with a new editor and a fresh perspective  I don't
subscribe anymore because I don't have time to read it and also because
they have a tendency to bash scientists and support animal rights stuff,
but it's a good magazine from a literary standpoint.

Sarah Pallas