Curious...

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Mon Mar 4 11:06:29 EST 1996

"Ms. S.J. Rickard" <srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:

>Maybe it's a British thing, but over here we still call people "Black". I
>was unaware this was racist, whereas as calling someone coloured is more
>so.

Funny. On Curacao, Southern Caribbean, one was supposed to say
coloured, not black. I guess because that includes the whole
range of african, portugese, spanish, indian, indonesian, chinese
and native south american ancestries as well as all the
"mixtures" with dutch whites. You find the whole range and
there's little emphasis on physical differences in every day
life.

GJ.

--

Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at NIOZ.NL>