Curious...

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Tue Mar 5 09:32:51 EST 1996

 Jennifer Potter  wrote:

>This probably won't add much to the discussion (except maybe a laugh),
but >when I was in college, a Puerto Rican student once was asked what
their >currency looked like....she ran out into the hall looking for a
dollar to >borrow from someone.

When I was a postdoc at UNC, one of the grad students in the lab was from
Peru. One of the techs, a recent UNC graduate, asked her about her
Christmas holiday plans and the woman from Peru talked about going to the
beach, etc. The UNC grad was astonished to learn that when it is winter in
the Northern Hemisphere it is summer in the Southern Hemisphere. She
marveled over this for several hours.

A sad comment on the state of undergraduate education...

Sherry