It's a "Ms"tery!!!! and are you the secretary?

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Fri Mar 1 11:01:17 EST 1996

     About 6 months ago our entire command went to a new email system,
     which also involved changing our email addresses.  Under the old
     system our assigned usernames were simply lastname_initials, but now
     they are of the form title/rank_firstname_lastname.  When this changed
     I was really annoyed because (a) I have a long name and it is a pain
     in the neck to type all of that, and (b) I couldn't help thinking how
     typical of the military to put so much emphasis on ranks and titles.
     After reading these threads, however, I can now see a potential
     benefit.  No one has any excuse any more for not knowing that I am a
     female with a doctorate! ;-)

     Margaret Martens

Subject: Re: It's a "Ms"tery!!!!
Author:  Joy L Frestedt <frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU> at Internet-Mail
Date:    2/29/96 17:18

I can't believe this company actually assigns gender specific titles to
employees email correspondence.  How RUDE (or possible even illegal?)!  I
actually remember thinking it was quite strange for the email header in
question to say "Ms. S.J. Rickard."  I presumed that the sender felt quite
strongly about the fact that she was female.
Joy