Curious...

Coscolluela Eileene ecoscoll at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 1 12:49:53 EST 1996

Gert Jan Gast (gjgast at nioz.nl) wrote:
: Could you please explain ulta-PC???

        It rubs me the wrong way when people come up to me and correct
        my speech for the sake of correcting it and making it "PC".
        This is especially offensive to me when I say something with
        no malicious intent.  For example:

        I'm very involved in the glbt community and I have been involved
        in the community for the past 5 years, even though I am a
        heterosexual female.  My best friend is a gay man and I've had
        people come up to me and tell me that when I use the word "Queer",
        I'm being offensive to gays and lesbians.  I understand that
        it can be seen as offensive and for about a year and a half, I was
        very nervous about using the term "queer" to describe the glbt
        community or a person who is a member of the community.  However,
        when a person is immersed within the community, there is no
        maliciousness or hate in using the term "queer".  Members of the
        glbt community often use the term "queer" to describe themselves,
        the term being very empowering to themselves.  My best friend
        encourages me to use the term "queer" and I use the term often
        to describe myself, an individual active and vocal in the community
        even though I am a heterosexual woman.  Many times I've had
        people come up to me and actively harass me for the usage of the
        term "queer".

        I've also been harassed for using the term "oriental" to describe
        myself, even though I am 100% filipina.

        I think people should also consider the intent of the words
        being used.  Granted "people can take the word the wrong way",
        but at the same time, people cannot please everyone and also
        many times people are purposely using the word as a source of
        empowerment for that discriminating group.

"Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm racist.
Just because I'm male doesn't mean I'm sexist.
Just because I'm straight doesn't mean I'm a homophobe."
				--famous t-shirt saying

	Eileene Coscolluela	       |"All our science, measured against
       University of Illinois	       | reality, is primitive and childlike --
     ecoscoll at students.uiuc.edu        | and yet it is the most precious thing
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~ecoscoll/| we have."  --Albert Einstein