minority women in science

Celeste Moore celestem at protein.bchs.uh.edu
Wed Jun 26 13:40:10 EST 1996

I don't know if this is the same, but I work in an all asian lab (chinese and
korean) , and am the only american and am white.  But I must say that I have
often endured "the only one" feelings of the situation.  Our group has 10
people and my boss is chinese.  I chose to work in this group because I have a
great deal of respect for my boss and am truly challenged by the project.  At
first it was difficult because I was such a curiosity; there was a lot of
curiosity because most of our members had not had day-to-day contact with an
american before.  And several of the group members had biases about what they
thought an american women would be like.  I have been there for over two years
and we have adjusted to each other.  I am aware that sometimes I get different
treatment, but when I don't like it, I say something (politely or boldly
depending on the events).  Now to sound like the enternal optimist,  I really
do try to learn what I can of their cultures, and have had opportunities to
discuss and learn what I could not have, without working so closely with them.
Two more points  1)  When it starts to wear on me I spend time with other
americans and 2)  It really does seem like people are the same everywhere, I
don't get along with everyone, but that would happen in an all white american
enviroment too.  but I am also very close friends with some of my co-workers.

Celeste

  It does get tiresome at times