Please explain this... was (long ago)Re: minority women in science

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 21 13:17:24 EST 1996

Karen Allendoerfer wrote:
> I have found that in certain situations a killfile is very useful.  I
> put people into one when they use belligerent or childish terms.  Some
> examples I have encountered include "load of crap," "crock of shit,"
> "24-carrot plonker," "stupid cow" and gratuitious references to Hitler,
> Stalin, Nazis, etc.

Thanks for sharing that blanket condemnation with the group. Do I get classifed as "belligerent"
or "childish"? Both?

Actually, I'm flattered. I've never been kill-filed before (at least AFAIK). And what a luxury - I
get the experience of being kill-filed, without even having to feel like I posted something nasty!

> I too welcome the "occasional verbal battle," but only with equals.

Jeez - that really hurts my feelings. I thought hurting other women's feelings was a no-no...

I guess not-so-subtle _ad hominem_ (or is it _ad femina_?) attacks are OK, but making a pointed
(although admittedly "common") comment about something _someone said_ (as opposed to the person
herself, who I can't presume to judge by _one_ post) is _not_ OK. Did I get that right? Maybe
someone can explain it to me, since I'm obviously not "equal" to the task of understanding Karen's
point...

--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html