creating a good climate for women

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov
Fri Jun 21 14:28:53 EST 1996

Karen Allendoerfer (ravena at cco.caltech.edu) wrote:
: In article <1996Jun13.182452.6715 at alw.nih.gov>,
: Bharathi Jagadeesh <bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:

: >If the fellowships purpose is to foster cooperation among
: >communities, encourage international cooperation, then
: >the situation is different. But we do need to be careful
: >to examine whether the rules are really directed to a
: >specific goal, or merely exclusionary.
: >

: I find myself agreeing with Barathi on one hand, that we "need to
: be careful to examine whether the rules are really directed to a
: specific goal, or merely exclusionary."

: But maybe we are forgetting that there are plus sides, scientifically,
: to moving to another institution.

I just wanted to clarify that I too agree that there are many
plus sides to moving to another institution. I think there
are many plus sides to moving to another city. In my opionion
all of these things build scientific (and human perspective)

And there is a real danger of creating inbred institutions
that don't receive new ideas and new ways of doing things.

But I do think that whenever a particular practice has a
racially or sexually (is that right?) discriminatory effect,
it's necessary to examine our preconceptions about what the
most reasonable way to do science, or a particular job is.
We may still come to the conclusion that the discrimination
is merely an unfortunate side effect, but we need to think
about it.

Bharathi

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology