Comm. skills seminar

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 21 11:00:02 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.93L.960615115737.15823B-100000 at labdien.cc.columbia.edu>,
Lisa L Rosenblum <llr2 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:

>I was wondering if any of you have had experience with communication
>skills seminars.  I received an advertisement in the mail for a
>one day Communication Skills Seminar for Women given by the Institute for
>Professional Buiness Women of Fred Pryor Seminars. It looks interesting
>and I'd like to give it a try, but I know absolutely nothing about these
>things.
>
>Has anyone ever attended one of these things in general, or had experience
>with this seminar series in particular?  Is it worth $79-
>recommendations or criticisms?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lisa
>llr2 at columbia.edu

I've attended two of these types of seminars, the first one, which was
called something like "How to manage anger and maintain emotional control,"
I found to be quite helpful.  But you may not have the same problems that
I do with anger (I tend to start crying when I get angry, it's been
a problem going back many years, and I know it's not good for my career,
so I wanted to deal with it in various ways.  This seminar was one of them.)
Ba sed on the positive experience I had with that one, I took another one
called something like "Time management techniques," and that one I found
moderately useful, but not worth the $99 it cost.  They do have an
800 number that you can call to get your money back if you're not satisfied.

I've noticed that there were NO scientists at either of these seminars,
and if I bring up anything like "management skills" to fellow
scientists, they tend to dismiss it as the province of "business types"
and as a "waste of time."  This strikes me as unfortunate.

Karen