Civility on the net

Dougherty, Er.,DE,Diagnostics DOUGHER1 at MSMBWMA.marburg.hoechst-ag.d400.de
Tue Jun 18 03:52:45 EST 1996

DK wrote:

>In context of most of the post you read on other groups it
>was not even negative.  Was I wrong to say it?  I believe in a
>constrained, civil and old-fashion discussion, I was. Is that type of
>group normal on the Net?  In my opinion, no.  In fact it is contrary
>to the nature of the Net.

>You can't say "Joan, you stupid slut!"  because
>you may well be face to face with "Joan" at the next conference you go
>to.

Dear DK:

My net experience is limited to groups on the bionet server. If what you
describe is normal behavior on the rest of USENET, then I will stop
wondering what I am missing!
Please don't try to turn women-in-biology into your idea of a "normal"
USENET group, I have enjoyed it very much the way that it is.

Also, I am not polite because I expect to meet one of the women in the group
at any point in my life. I am polite because that is the communication style
that I find to be most constructive and enjoyable.

Erika Dougherty