Prof's agenda - WasRe: moving around/climate for women

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 14 12:37:36 EST 1996

Julia Hsi Morris wrote:
> I chose my postdoc in the
> same institution as I did my graduate work.  I knew from the beginning
> that it would be harder for me to get a fellowship, as did my advisor.  My
> advisor was basically planning on my inability to get a fellowship, and he
> has no problem supporting me.  One's advisor should take that into account
> when he agrees to take you on.

We were just talking about this in our lab. It seems pretty plain to me at
least that if a PI puts a lot of time into traing a student, s/he may just
want to keep the student around as a post-doc, although this clearly may not
be the best move for the student carreer-wise. This is (one reason) why it's
good to have mentors who are not "invested" in you.

--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html