multiple moves

Barb Lewis barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 13 19:50:13 EST 1996

In article <4pofvj$8rp at abel.cc.sunysb.edu>, dkat at psych1.psy.sunysb.edu
(DK) wrote:

> Anyone who can get into Graduate School should be smart enough to
> figure out the facts of life themselves.  Women are raised to think of
> themselves as children dependent on others.  I've been in academia for
> more than 20 years and have never heard such stuff.  Grow up.  DK

DK -

First, I guess that you are a psychologist or psychiatrist from your address.
Yes? If so, please realize that many biologists, chemists, etc. are not in
general as people-savvy as folks in your field probably are. The absent-
minded professor sort of thing...

Now of course the successful ones will be those who either start out
people-savvy, or become so pretty fast along the way. Also, they are able
find good mentors.

Many young female scientists entering grad school either (1) didn't have
mentors as undergraduates who told them the facts of life, or (2) their
mentors were male and didn't realize that most women don't have
househusbands or spouses with
portable jobs. Hopefully the next generation will be smarter than some of us
were.

Another grownup,

Barb Lewis

Barb Lewis, email barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu - All opinions are my own!