A peeve

Kathleen Ann Sindt kas4e at galen.med.Virginia.EDU
Wed Jul 31 18:52:01 EST 1996

j-stowe at uiuc.edu  writes:

> This is just a question regarding length of graduate careers --
> Are there advantages/disadvantages to "finishing up" quickly
> vs getting a more complete story for your thesis?

Speaking strictly as someone who is writing her
dissertation....

Just doing a few more experiments to tidy up a thesis is
pointless.  However - if a bit more work earns you another
paper - then it's worth the effort.  (Or if it makes your
committee happier to graduate you.)

I will have been a graduate student for a full 6 years.  While
that's really not a bad time length for here - it WAS an issue
for some people I applied to because they thought that was too
long.  If you stay too long in grad school (typically starting
to push seven years) - people start to wonder why you have been
around so long.

> my impression is that your next position depends more on your letters
> of recommendation than on your actual thesis (as long as you _have_
> published something, I assume)

And the impression you make.  Typos in a cover letter or CV
look terrible.  If you interview - the manner in which you
handle the interview.  It will also depend on your technical
skills and what the lab is seeking in a post-doc.

Nobody reads or cares about your thesis but you and your
committee.  And depending on your committee - you might have a
few who don't read it!  (Though, I expect mine to correct my
grammer.)

--
Kathie Sindt
kas4e at virginia.edu