A peeve

Kathleen Ann Sindt kas4e at galen.med.Virginia.EDU
Tue Jul 30 18:01:46 EST 1996

Susan Jane Hogarth  writes:

> Yup, I've known both men and women who are like this (including even myself
> sometimes - it does seem as if you can get *sucked in* to being this way).
> And _maybe_ even men are more susceptible to it than women... What's the
> prob? I know lots of people who whistle while they work, but I'm not looking
> for a way to put an end to it (although it drives me _crazy_).

I happen to agree - if they want to play competitive games, let
them.  What matters in the long run is who succeeds.  I just
don't deal with that type of person unless it will get me ahead
of the game.....

> Should we hold "seminars" and "retraining sessions" so that people work in
> (what we think is) a more sensible and civilized manner? Hey, for some

There are some PI's out there (and others) who could afford to
learn how to lead/motivate etc....  But that's a bit of another
subject.

> a bad example. I absolutely *detest* having the guy at the next bench whistle
> away while he's working, but I'd have to feel _very_, _very_ stressed before
> I'd ask him to stop (I might even just leave for a while) - and that's how it
> should be. Whistling obviously makes work go better for him, and it's not
> intolerable to me, so I'll learn to put up with it...

So - you detest it - but it's not intolerable?

> ...Am I making any sense here?

Yes.

But you know, it sounds like you'd be willing to put up with
alot of crap in the workplace before you expressed any
objection.  There's a fine line between being a "complainer"
and one who stands up for themself.  I think alot of people
have become apathetic or try to be "too PC" lately and I think
that encourages mediocrity.

(Okay - so this got a little off subject ..... I have a friend
currently being treated like dirt in the workplace and he won't
stand up for himself)
--
Kathie Sindt
kas4e at virginia.edu