A peeve

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 30 09:53:01 EST 1996

Karen Allendoerfer wrote:

[snip]

> But my second thought is, okay, so "men" aren't to blame.  That still
> doesn't make the problem of hypercompetitiveness, (and by this I mean
> personal competitiveness, even in social situations,
> to the detriment of collegiality and civility), go away, and it's one of
> my peeves, too.

Yup, I've known both men and women who are like this (including even myself
sometimes - it does seem as if you can get *sucked in* to being this way).
And _maybe_ even men are more susceptible to it than women... What's the
prob? I know lots of people who whistle while they work, but I'm not looking
for a way to put an end to it (although it drives me _crazy_).

Should we hold "seminars" and "retraining sessions" so that people work in
(what we think is) a more sensible and civilized manner? Hey, for some
people, I'll bet competitiveness _helps_; it may motivate them or excite them
or be fun or whatever. My whistling example is trivial, but I think it's not
a bad example. I absolutely *detest* having the guy at the next bench whistle
away while he's working, but I'd have to feel _very_, _very_ stressed before
I'd ask him to stop (I might even just leave for a while) - and that's how it
should be. Whistling obviously makes work go better for him, and it's not
intolerable to me, so I'll learn to put up with it...

...Am I making any sense here?
--

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html