Women in Science

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:01:14 EST 1996

JuneKK (junekk at aol.com) wrote:

: Dear Colleagues,
: As a followup to a previous post, I'd like to post a few questions in
: regard to the problems that women scientists typically face during the
: course of their professional advancement.  Comments will be included
: anonymously in the next Women in Neuroscience newsletter (~Sept), unless
: otherwise specified by the author.

: Please answer one or more of the following questions, with comments as
: specific as possible.

: 1a.  How has childrearing/childcare decisions affected how you do
: research?   b.When do you feel it is the best time to have kids: during
: graduate school, during postdoc years, during tenure-track period of new
: principle investigator, etc.?

Childrearing/childcare decisions basically keeps to a 9-5 schedule and
late nights, when needed.  I feel having children during gradual school
is good in that you have a lot more flexibility, but it can also be
extremely draining in that when you leave the lab, the lab usually goes
with you (reading, preparation, etc.) whereas when you leave a job,
chances are the job stays, and you can feel guilt-free to spend time with
your family.  However, after having one child recently, I will
probably wait to have the second once I have obtained employment.

: 2.  Do you still encourage young individuals to major in science given the
: present low employment marketability of today's scientists?

Yes!  If you enjoy science, and if you think you will enjoy your job when
you finish, then go with it.

: 3.  Have you ever felt that you were not being taken seriously by your
: graduate/postdoc mentor/boss because of your gender?  How did you handle
: this situation?

Never occurred thus far.  If it would, I would just have to prove them wrong.

: 4.  Do you  feel that your gender has ever gotten in the way of getting
: hired for faculty positions?  If so,  how did you know?

Not applicable

: 5.  If you are a woman scientist, do you feel that you are is less self
: confidence in science than your male counterparts?  Did you feel this
: influence as a young student?

At times, but it's more my doubts in myself than my male counterparts
doubts in me.  Again, it's more personal and individual portrayal of
yourself than what other people believe.

: All responses are welcome!
: Thanks in advance!
: June Kume-Kick