dressing up

Alesia McBrayer alesiam at awod.com
Thu Jul 25 19:20:59 EST 1996

In article <4sg8i6$4kf at news.inc.net>, storck-s at it.uwp.edu (Denise Storck-schattner) says:

>This is in response to the recent threads about women in science who
>dress up and wear makeup not being serious about science.  I am a woman
>in science.  As a graduate student, I wear the casual jeans and T-shirt,
>but they are nice jeans and T-shirts.  My hair is kept nice, makeup
>natural, and nails polished and filed nicely.  I, however, feel that I do
>take science seriously.  However, to do my best and contribute to the
>best of my ability, I need to take some time for myself.  I often times
>polish my nails before turning in for the night.  The invention of Quick
>Dry helps a lot.  And, it does not take much effort or time to achieve
>the natural look with makeup in the morning.  My hair style is the wash
>and go kind, and we all have to go shopping for clothes - I buy nice
>informal wear.
>
>To me, looking nice and not like some graduate students (who look like
>they have slept in their clothes for three days straight) does not mean
>I'm not a serious scientist, but that I take pride in the way I look and
>that pride carries over into my work.  Granted, I'm no Cindy Crawford,
>but looking nice for me helps me feel good, and when I feel good, things
>seem to go a lot better in my research.
>
>If somebody does not want to take me seriously because I may wear
>lipstick and nail polish, it is not my problem.  It's their's as they
>could be missing out on something of value.
>
>As for my personal preference, I tend to take people who look nice and
>portray a put-together image more seriously.  People who look like
>_"slobs"_ basically tell me that I'm too lazy to take care of myself, I
>don't care about my looks, and therefore, I don't care or am too lazy to
>care about anything else.
>
>So, for all you women out there who like to remain feminine, my powder
>brush goes to you.
>
>Dee

Dee,

	You tell them all about it!  I am also a woman in the Biology field
.  I love to dress up, especially on days that I know will be rough
 or slow.  I don't think anyone should be judged concerning their sincerity on the job
by the way they look.  I believe that people should be judged on how they do their job.
Thanks for standing up for all of us who still try to look like women.