Looking for a job, and...

Majumder lab jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Thu Jul 25 10:51:24 EST 1996

In article <4t821k$pm2 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, junekk at aol.com (JuneKK) wrote:

> Can you be a little more specific?  What kind of job are you looking for,
> what is your background, etc....?  This forum is a wonderful place for
> both advice and support (generally speaking :>)....

> <<I need all kinds of advice and moral support.  If you are also looking
> for a job, if you just found a job, or if you have some suggestions to
> make, i am all ears.  >>

Actually, I'm *also* looking for a job, so let *me* be specific.  I have
almost completed a 1 year postdoc, which I really didn't want.  I just
couldn't find another job at the time I graduated.  I have a PhD in
molecular biology, but I'm sick and tired of research and want to find a
position that still lets me be technical, but has more interaction with
people, e.g. customer service, regulatory affairs, academic affairs, etc.

I went back to my undergraduate university (Rice University) since it is
in the same city, and have started to use their Career Services Center.
They allow alumnae to use their resources for free.  I took a personality
test, which was fascinating and fun, and it seems to indicate the path
that I am aiming for.  Now finding a position is a different matter.  I'm
overqualified to some degree because of my PhD, but simultaneously
underqualified because I have no experience except for research.  What's a
girl to do?

--Julia Hsi Morris

jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu or zzhao at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Dept. of Neuro-Oncology, Box 316
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX