Veterinary School (fwd)

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Fri Jul 19 08:57:40 EST 1996

> SL Forsburg wrote:
> >
> > Denise Signorelli wrote:
> > >
> > > My chosen line of research is
> > > Drosophila and in general mammalian geneticists and even in vitro
> > > biochemists don't have  much respect for the lowly fly.
> >
> > Yeah, try working on yeast.  Most people don't even think it's a
> > eukaryote!  :-(
>
> I can "one-up" that: try working on higher plants (like Arabidopsis).
> Most people don't even think they're alive!
>
> Brian

It appears that lots of people feel their line of research "gets no
respect" (Henny Youngman said it well).  I didn't know people had a
problem with Arabidopsis.  It's probably one of the most fundable plants
in research at this time (ie, the Drosophila of the plant kingdom).  Try
getting funding for a project dealing with the biochemistry and molecular
biology of mosses.  I am always being asked to justify my choice of
organism of research (especially since I work in deep south Texas (yes
there are mosses there and little competition!).  Everybody chooses their
own line of research, if they're lucky, so we shouldn't worry about what
other people think.

IMHO,

Cyndy

--