dressing up

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Thu Jul 18 09:21:29 EST 1996

Thanks Dianna!  You understood my point exactly!  Take care!

Dee

Dianna L. Bourke (dlb17 at PSU.EDU) wrote:
: Dee,

: Brava! My sentiments exactly, I am of a very meticulous nature and this
: carries over into all aspects of my life, whether that be my research
: experiments, teaching, baking, sewing costumes for the campus theatrical
: productions or preparing for committee meetings. Some days I dress up and
: some days I dress down (I teach anatomy, which tends to discourage silk
: shirts!), but I am always clean, my hair is styled and my minimal makeup is
: applied. I can't really imagine walking out in public otherwise! I happen
: to be one of those people who benefits vastly from a little eye pencil and
: cover stick (when I don't wear this makeup, people always ask me if I am
: sick or tired.) I must admit that my nails have not been polished in years,
: though. Everytime I try, I end up sticking my fingers in acetone or
: something at the lab. In another lifetime, I could have been a fashion or
: costume designer, I think...Can I help it if my idea of the wide open
: spaces is that it would be a great place to build a mall?

: Bottom line is teachers should command respect from their students because
: they are good teachers, after a while the clothes should become
: meaningless. Most stuAlthough I do wonder what would happen if I came in
: really punk like or something???

: Overdressed in Hazleton!
: Dianna

: >This is in response to the recent threads about women in science who
: >dress up and wear makeup not being serious about science.  I am a woman
: >in science.  As a graduate student, I wear the casual jeans and T-shirt,
: >but they are nice jeans and T-shirts.  My hair is kept nice, makeup
: >natural, and nails polished and filed nicely.  I, however, feel that I do
: >take science seriously.  However, to do my best and contribute to the
: >best of my ability, I need to take some time for myself.  I often times
: >polish my nails before turning in for the night.  The invention of Quick
: >Dry helps a lot.  And, it does not take much effort or time to achieve
: >the natural look with makeup in the morning.  My hair style is the wash
: >and go kind, and we all have to go shopping for clothes - I buy nice
: >informal wear.
: >
: >To me, looking nice and not like some graduate students (who look like
: >they have slept in their clothes for three days straight) does not mean
: >I'm not a serious scientist, but that I take pride in the way I look and
: >that pride carries over into my work.  Granted, I'm no Cindy Crawford,
: >but looking nice for me helps me feel good, and when I feel good, things
: >seem to go a lot better in my research.
: >
: >If somebody does not want to take me seriously because I may wear
: >lipstick and nail polish, it is not my problem.  It's their's as they
: >could be missing out on something of value.
: >
: >As for my personal preference, I tend to take people who look nice and
: >portray a put-together image more seriously.  People who look like
: >_"slobs"_ basically tell me that I'm too lazy to take care of myself, I
: >don't care about my looks, and therefore, I don't care or am too lazy to
: >care about anything else.
: >
: >So, for all you women out there who like to remain feminine, my powder
: >brush goes to you.
: >
: >Dee

: Dianna L. Bourke