dressing up

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Thu Jul 18 09:19:09 EST 1996

Kim Cuddington (kcudding at uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: Denise Storck-schattner (storck-s at it.uwp.edu) wrote:

: : If somebody does not want to take me seriously because I may wear
: : lipstick and nail polish, it is not my problem.  It's their's as they
: : could be missing out on something of value.

: : As for my personal preference, I tend to take people who look nice and
: : portray a put-together image more seriously.  People who look like
: : _"slobs"_ basically tell me that I'm too lazy to take care of myself, I
: : don't care about my looks, and therefore, I don't care or am too lazy to
: : care about anything else.

: I can agree with almost everything you say Denise...until this final
: comment:

: : So, for all you women out there who like to remain feminine, my powder
: : brush goes to you.

: I have to object here. I have no idea why nice clothes, hair and makeup
: equate to "remaining feminine". And I hope to goodness there is no real
: relationship...otherwise, I'm in serious trouble :)

Kim,

No offense meant.  I'm using the term "feminine" in the sense defined by
society, and that "feminine" as defined by society can exist in the
scientific arena without any harm to seriousness for the subject.
Overall, I believe people can choose to look how they want, but first
impressions say a lot to anyone.  The purpose of my response was to state
that because I choose to be "feminine" as defined by society, I should
not be thought of as a less serious scientist because of the way I look.

Also, in regards to this, I have had problems of people taking me
seriously because I happen to have blond hair.  Stereotyping is overrated
and should be stopped.  Wouldn't the world be a happier place if everyone
stopped trying to put us into categories based on our appearance.

Dee
 :
Cheers, : Kim