dressing up

Dianna L. Bourke dlb17 at PSU.EDU
Wed Jul 17 17:23:14 EST 1996

Dee,

Brava! My sentiments exactly, I am of a very meticulous nature and this
carries over into all aspects of my life, whether that be my research
experiments, teaching, baking, sewing costumes for the campus theatrical
productions or preparing for committee meetings. Some days I dress up and
some days I dress down (I teach anatomy, which tends to discourage silk
shirts!), but I am always clean, my hair is styled and my minimal makeup is
applied. I can't really imagine walking out in public otherwise! I happen
to be one of those people who benefits vastly from a little eye pencil and
cover stick (when I don't wear this makeup, people always ask me if I am
sick or tired.) I must admit that my nails have not been polished in years,
though. Everytime I try, I end up sticking my fingers in acetone or
something at the lab. In another lifetime, I could have been a fashion or
costume designer, I think...Can I help it if my idea of the wide open
spaces is that it would be a great place to build a mall?

Bottom line is teachers should command respect from their students because
they are good teachers, after a while the clothes should become
meaningless. Most stuAlthough I do wonder what would happen if I came in
really punk like or something???

Overdressed in Hazleton!
Dianna

>This is in response to the recent threads about women in science who
>dress up and wear makeup not being serious about science.  I am a woman
>in science.  As a graduate student, I wear the casual jeans and T-shirt,
>but they are nice jeans and T-shirts.  My hair is kept nice, makeup
>natural, and nails polished and filed nicely.  I, however, feel that I do
>take science seriously.  However, to do my best and contribute to the
>best of my ability, I need to take some time for myself.  I often times
>polish my nails before turning in for the night.  The invention of Quick
>Dry helps a lot.  And, it does not take much effort or time to achieve
>the natural look with makeup in the morning.  My hair style is the wash
>and go kind, and we all have to go shopping for clothes - I buy nice
>informal wear.
>
>To me, looking nice and not like some graduate students (who look like
>they have slept in their clothes for three days straight) does not mean
>I'm not a serious scientist, but that I take pride in the way I look and
>that pride carries over into my work.  Granted, I'm no Cindy Crawford,
>but looking nice for me helps me feel good, and when I feel good, things
>seem to go a lot better in my research.
>
>If somebody does not want to take me seriously because I may wear
>lipstick and nail polish, it is not my problem.  It's their's as they
>could be missing out on something of value.
>
>As for my personal preference, I tend to take people who look nice and
>portray a put-together image more seriously.  People who look like
>_"slobs"_ basically tell me that I'm too lazy to take care of myself, I
>don't care about my looks, and therefore, I don't care or am too lazy to
>care about anything else.
>
>So, for all you women out there who like to remain feminine, my powder
>brush goes to you.
>
>Dee

Dianna L. Bourke
Penn State Hazleton