Veterinary School

Linda S. Berris lberri1 at uic.edu
Wed Jul 17 09:42:14 EST 1996

Cindy Gustafson-Brown wrote:

> I am curious about an attitude toward vets which I am becoming aware of in
> the health profession. My sister just graduated from vet school and moved
> to San Diego. From what she tells me, those in human health tend to look
> down their noses at vets, despite the more rigorous competition to get into
> vet school than to get into med school.

I've had good and bad experiences with MDs regarding this sort of thing.
Maybe it's because I tend to go to teaching/research hospitals for my own
health care (having been around academia for eons), but I've always had
positive reaction from MDs about vetmed, i.e. they seemed to appreciate
the difficulties not only of getting in but also having to learn about >1
species of animal!  On the other hand, when I was a pre-vet, I got a lot
of attitude from not only my fellow pre-meds, but also from the PhDs who
ran the undergraduate research program (for potential future
MD-PhDs)...the attitude was, why would one want to be a DVM-PhD; i.e.
vetmed isn't "real" medicine, therefore a DVM-PhD wouldn't have much to
contribute to science, etc.

I also see an attitude problem with my pre-professional students.  The
pre-meds seem to think that what they're going to do is the "real thing",
while what the pre-vets want to do is coming more from an emotional place
-- again, it's not "real medicine".

Linda Berris