Veterinary School

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Wed Jul 17 09:51:54 EST 1996

Denise Signorelli wrote:

> My chosen line of research is
> Drosophila and in general mammalian geneticists and even in vitro
> biochemists don't have  much respect for the lowly fly.

Yeah, try working on yeast.  Most people don't even think it's a
eukaryote!  :-(

Re the vet thread:  Like a lot of young, animal lovers, I thought of
becoming a vet.  I had the opportunity to volunteer in a vet hospital
when I was in high school and realized that the practise of medicine
was not for me.  I have a lot of respect for the people who can deal
with animal patients;  animals don't understand the pain, you can't
explain it to them, and you have to walk a fine line between
caring too much (and tearing yourself up over it) and caring not enough.

Who cares what the (human) medical profession thinks?  The only
person who matters is the person doing the job.  If the orignal poster
really wants it, and knows what she is getting into, then go for it.
But like everything else, research it and know what you are getting
into FIRST.  With hard professions, you have to want them....they're
too hard to do if you don't!

susan
--
Susan L Forsburg PhD