dressing up

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Tue Jul 16 09:21:58 EST 1996

This is in response to the recent threads about women in science who
dress up and wear makeup not being serious about science.  I am a woman
in science.  As a graduate student, I wear the casual jeans and T-shirt,
but they are nice jeans and T-shirts.  My hair is kept nice, makeup
natural, and nails polished and filed nicely.  I, however, feel that I do
take science seriously.  However, to do my best and contribute to the
best of my ability, I need to take some time for myself.  I often times
polish my nails before turning in for the night.  The invention of Quick
Dry helps a lot.  And, it does not take much effort or time to achieve
the natural look with makeup in the morning.  My hair style is the wash
and go kind, and we all have to go shopping for clothes - I buy nice
informal wear.

To me, looking nice and not like some graduate students (who look like
they have slept in their clothes for three days straight) does not mean
I'm not a serious scientist, but that I take pride in the way I look and
that pride carries over into my work.  Granted, I'm no Cindy Crawford,
but looking nice for me helps me feel good, and when I feel good, things
seem to go a lot better in my research.

If somebody does not want to take me seriously because I may wear
lipstick and nail polish, it is not my problem.  It's their's as they
could be missing out on something of value.

As for my personal preference, I tend to take people who look nice and
portray a put-together image more seriously.  People who look like
_"slobs"_ basically tell me that I'm too lazy to take care of myself, I
don't care about my looks, and therefore, I don't care or am too lazy to
care about anything else.

So, for all you women out there who like to remain feminine, my powder
brush goes to you.

Dee