student evaluation

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jul 15 10:05:34 EST 1996

>This thread makes me think of an informal conversation that I had with
>some graduate students once.  The topic was the appropriateness of
>dress
>by women scientists, and the various images they projected.  To my
>dismay,
>there were some graduate students who felt that some of their female
>professors who wore nice dresses, noticeable make-up, and had polished
>nails did NOT project a "serious", or professional image as others who
>were dressed less fashionably.  Comments?

Close to my heart-I think we've run through this thread before, but once
again-I dressed VERY "well" while I worked in a government lab and when
I became a graduate student I got intimidated (literally-comments by
post-docs about nailpolish and serious science not mixing, one of my
committee members laughing at my donning a dress when doing the
departmental very formal journal club, etc) into a jeans and T shirt
mode.  But I have since slipped back into my usual dress, partly because
of my age, and partly because of the discovery of how much clothes
define people-when I'm out of jeans people introduced to me for the
first time assume I'm a post-doc (maybe it's my age-but jeans define
grad students!).
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at