student evaluation

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jul 15 08:54:50 EST 1996

JuneKK wrote:

> This thread makes me think of an informal conversation that I had with
> some graduate students once.  The topic was the appropriateness of dress
> by women scientists, and the various images they projected.  To my dismay,
> there were some graduate students who felt that some of their female
> professors who wore nice dresses, noticeable make-up, and had polished
> nails did NOT project a "serious", or professional image as others who
> were dressed less fashionably.  Comments?

Ha! This reminds me of when a friend of mine (another grad student) came
back from an interview _very_ excited about the PI she'd interviewed with.
This woman _actually wore makeup_! My friend was always a bit dismayed at
the level of casualness/plainess of the women in our department. Part of me
was amused at her attitude, and (sad to say) part of me thought that she
couldn't be too serious about Science (w/a capital S) if those things were
important to her. I hope that I've grown since then, and thanks, June, for
pointing out that fallacy again. The truth is I never have cared to "dress"
(unless I have one of my rare fits of playing dress-up), but that really has
nothing to do with science. I'm just lucky enough to be in a profession
where it's not *crucial* (although may be important).
--

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

Man: What is my purpose?