postdoc questions

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Jul 12 16:24:50 EST 1996

In article <14C21E50603 at bio.tamu.edu> , JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU writes:
>>> Where did that idea ever come up that postdocs are "training"
>>positions.
>

>Interestingly, NIH postdoctoral grants are "postdoctoral training
>grants" and part of the application process is to state the training you
>will receive, describe the facilities and faculty availible for that
>training for evaluation by the committee reviewing the grants.  So
>SOMEONE still thinks it's supposed to be a training period.
>Julia Frugoli
>Dartmouth College

My opinion is that postdocs who find their own money will be more able to
get a true training experience.  NIH requires this for the most part in
awarding NRSAs.  However, those ads in Science and Nature are usually for
postdoc positions where the PI already has funding to pay the postdoc,
and to do a specific project.  If you get your pay from someone else's
grant, I think it is not unreasonable that you might have to do the work
outlined in that grant.  So those of you looking for postdocs should go
somewhere that you can initially offer YOUR expertise and get paid, then
get your own money and pick up THEIR expertise.  Most labs will be
employing numerous approaches to a problem, only some of which you are
likely to be familiar with.

Sarah Pallas