student evaluation

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 11 17:13:49 EST 1996

russell russell wrote:

> Along these same lines, I often get comments from students about how they
> cannot look at me as an instructor because I wear jeans and t-shirts. Do
> they expect me to  wear dresses every day because I am a female
> instructor? Do they expect me to wear nice clothes to teach a LAB where
> we often use dyes and other stain-causing things (assuming, of course,
> that I actually owned a dress)?

That's what lab coats are for ;-)
You can wear whatever you want, just don't say you "have" to wear jeans and
a T-shirt - it's simply not true.

> Apparently, they also cannot learn from
> my instruction because I wear a very small hoop in my nose. I guess this
> hoop automatically invalidates everything I say. (damn hippie! they never
> tell the truth!)

I guess you have experiences to back up these negative feelings, but it
bothers me to see people putting thoughts/words in other people's mouths.
I have a tatoo (which is admittedly more "acceptable" than a nose-ring),
and have never felt that it interferred with my ability to communicate.
Actually, I quite often get compliments on it.

>  I don't mean to imply that all students are
> sexist, but maybe they are conditioned to picture female instructors as
> primarily teachers and male intructors as primarily researchers at the
> college level? In that mindset, male intructors/professors would be
> forgiven for "not taking teaching seriously", as evidenced to the
> students as not dressing up for class, because teaching is not the male
> instructor's first priority. The female intructor/professor would
> not be given that same leniency because, in the mind of the student, her
> first priority is teaching; if she does not dress up for class, then she
> must be a bad teacher. Any comments?

I think this is ridiculous - most undergraduates feel teaching is _all_ that
the profs are there for - male or female.

> Amy "if only I could give these people LEARNING evaluations!" Russell

Isn't that what grades are for?
--

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html