frustration/crying

Mara Casar mmc9 at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Jul 11 10:53:55 EST 1996

Susan Jane Hogarth wrote:

> Mara Casar wrote:
> >  I got frustrated and the tears started flowing
> > - I couldn't help it.  Unfortunately, he thought I was crying on purpose
> > to get sympathy!  He became even ruder and accused me of trying to get
> > him to feel sorry for me so he'd raise my grade.  The only way out of the
> > situation was major brown-nosing... which I am not proud of.
>

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. What's "major brown-nosing", how did
> it help the situation, and why was it the "only way out of the situation"?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  "Major brown-nosing" - sorry, it's kind of
vulgar - kissing up is probably a better way to phrase it.  I tried to
explain to this man that I wasn't crying to get sympathy and to please
overlook my emotional reaction, but I was having a hard time expressing my
thoughts on Greek philosophy to him since they were at a very basic level
compared to his years of work in the field, etc.  My intention was simply
to repair the damage it appeared my tears had caused.  However, I felt I
had to place the "blame" on myself rather than on him - i.e. "if you don't
understand what I'm saying it must be my fault" - because I didn't know
how else to deal with him.

I suppose my original question, then, is this: what would be a better way
to diffuse this sort of situation?  I know that the way I handled it was
not ideal because it made me feel (and look) like I was an idiot. There
has to be a dignified alternative!

-Mara