More post doc info..

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 10 19:02:22 EST 1996

SL Forsburg wrote:

> PEOPLE DO.  A couple of good first author papers where it is clear
> you did most of the work will beat reams of papers with football team
> sized author lists.  [snip]

[Rachelle again]

SL Forsburg wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is true.  We are all getting burned by it,
> and it is damaging the profession and the science.  I'm much
> more impressed by a few high-quality papers with only a couple of
> names on them than those long lists, but I feel like an exception.

Ah-hem: Susan, you JUST said that people DO care about the quality of publications, now
you're saying that you are "an exception" because you are more impressed by
high-quality papers? Do you really think people are that much shallower than you?

> Y'know, this newsgroup's readers all seem to have the right idea
> about doing science.  So where did all the problem-people COME from and
> how do they persist in the positions of power?

I'm not sure, since I haven't met any yet. I think I've met some incompetent and
not-so-awfully-clever folks in science, but not really anyone who didn't care about
science (except those on the way out...).
--

Susan Jane Hogarth
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

Man: What is my purpose?