student evaluation

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Jul 11 13:28:40 EST 1996

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          cboake at utk.edu
>Subject:       student evaluation
>Date:          Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:57:26 -0400
>
>I thought that some of you might enjoy the following comment, which
>startled me because it belongs a few decades earlier.  I taught
>introductory genetics this spring, and just received the written
>remarks
>from students (we ask them to fill out a scan form type evaluation and
>also give them a sheet for answers to some questions).  In answer to
>the
>question, "What aspects of this class detracted from your learning?"
>the
>student wrote "colorless dress of instructor."  This leads to
>interesting
>speculation (beyond the obvious of whether male faculty ever receive
>similar comments): Should I have dressed like the majority of students,
>in
>old t-shirts and jeans?  Should I emulate my elegant colleagues in the
>art
>dept?  Should I emulate colleagues in my own dept, who wear jeans and
>t-shirts?  Would the student have stayed awake if I had worn gaudy
>clothes?  Were my clothes in fact colorless or did this student only
>come
>to class just before my laundry days?  Should I make sure to wear
>bright
>clothes on days that I give tests?
>
>Chris Boake
>Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
>Univ. of Tennessee

More important-should you take the one stray comment of a single student
seriously?  Unless you get this comment often, I would see it as just
that-a stray comment.
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at