More Post-doc questions...

JuneKK junekk at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 07:09:05 EST 1996

 Rae Nishi wrote:
<<At last study section I heard that postdoc fellowship
success rates were only 10-15% instead of the 40-50% they used to
be....>>

I believe that the 10-15% success rate estimate is generous.  At the last
review for postdoctoral (NRSA) fellowships, the priority score cutoff was
26%.  In comparison, I've heard that the cutoff scores for PI grants were
more nearly ~23% (at least for late last year)!

David Fleck wrote:
<<And in both cases, the fact that they
had this prior experience was given as the main justification in picking
them.)  "Broadening"?  "Training"?  Bah.  Cheap skilled labor.>>

Unfortunately, I believe that the "broadening of one's skills" has been
necessarily narrowed in definition due to the pressure of PI's to get
their own research agendas quickly accomplished, so that they may also
remain competitive, get preliminary data for grants, etc....