More Post-doc questions...

Jane Dorweiler dorwe001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Tue Jul 9 11:51:36 EST 1996

> Also, I think it is a myth that the postdoctoral period is "training".
> Many mentors expect the postdoc to bring the skills to the lab with
> them, and be producers more than "training" them in new techniques..

I know what you mean, as I have seen it happen, but I really think it depends
upon the mentor and the correct match.  If you choose something which is
decidedly complementary to your present training, then you gain some training,
and you can potentially bring some expertise to the lab which they might not
already have.

Jane

Jane Dorweiler                 **  Regardless of what they say about the
Department of Plant Biology    **  cat, curiosity is a good thing.  It's
University of Minnesota        **  what makes each and every one of us
dorwe001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu     **  a scientist!!