More Post-doc questions...

Rachelle J. Bienstock rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov
Tue Jul 9 08:37:42 EST 1996

On this same post doc thread, I want to say that post docs are
very narrow and limited in many ways....For example many have
age limitations- i.e. can't be over 30, and some have limitations
on the numbers of years a person is past their PhD- like 5...
suppose a person went into industry for a few years, and then wanted
to go back to academia?  It makes it very difficult for them to enter
the track- if they were not in industry for very long, and they don't
have a long publication list, it may be difficult for them to apply for
a full position, yet if they are already over 30 or it is more than 5
years since they received their PhD they are ineligible for almost all
types of postdoctoral funding...

Also, I think it is a myth that the postdoctoral period is "training".
Many mentors expect the postdoc to bring the skills to the lab with
them, and be producers more than "training" them in new techniques..