Comm. skills seminar

Lauryl Maiya J Nutter lmjnutte at acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jul 8 19:35:05 EST 1996

Heather Hanson (breadhlh at med.unc.edu) wrote:
: I noticed your post about the managing anger seminar...did you happen to
: notice whether that was a local seminar, or something nationally
: organized?  I, too, have a real problem with crying when I get
: angry/frustrated.  At the moment, it's not the hurdle it could be because
: I have a woman on my thesis committee who defuses many potentially
: destructive situations.  However, I realize that good things like this
: don't last.  Do you happen to remember who organized the seminar?

I'm sorry that I did not see the original post for this thread,
but I thought that I might add a comment of my own here.  The
tears also seem to come of their own volition if I am angry or
frustrated, the thing that I have found helps is that I warn
people about the possibility.  I can usually tell if a situation
or subject of discussion is going to lead to this type of
reaction, so if I feel it coming on I say something along the
lines of "Listen, I might start to cry during this discussion.
Don't let it distract you from what I am trying to say."  I find
that this keeps people from focusing on trying to comfort me or
trying to stop me from crying and instead focuses the discussion
on what the subject is supposed to be.

Hope this helps.

Lauryl